Efergy Elite IR Smart Meter Energy Monitor
The Efergy Elite IR is a Wireless Energy Monitor that works with 'smart' or 'digital' electricity meters.
The Elite IR energy monitor can be self-installed in any household or business that has these electricity meters.
Energy Monitor for Smart Meters - How to install
Simply mount the sensor on top of the flashing LED labelled 1Wh/imp (or similar) on the front of your meter, then follow set-up instructions. The LED sensor is known to work on a wide range of meters including those shown below. Download the Quick Installation Guide.
The sensor goes over the LED labelled with the red arrows
If your smart meter does not have an impulse LED indicator like those above then it may not be compatible. For example, some smart meters only show usage on the LCD screen with a square or arrow (example below). If your meter only has this usage indicator then we recommend buying the regular wireless energy monitor.
What's in the box?
- Display screen (this goes inside your home)
- LED sensor device (this sticks on the front side of your ‘smart’ or digital meter in your meter box)
- Transmitter unit (sits in your meter box, battery powered)
- Adhesive pad to mount the LED sensor on your meter
- Instruction manual
Energy Monitor Overview
Here is a brief overview of what you can see on the energy monitor's indoor display screen:
- Shows both "real time" power and historical energy usage and cost (over days, weeks, and months).
- Displays time, temperature and humidity.
- Optional alarm function sounds an alarm (and flashes red) when a pre-set power usage level is exceeded.
Efergy Elite IR smart meter monitor- Technical specifications
- Supports up to 4 tariff settings per day
- 3 phase compatible (provided you have one smart meter which covers all three phases)
- Display screen power = 3 x AA batteries (not included)
- Transmitter power = 3 x AA batteries (not included)
- Battery lifetime = approx 1 years
- Transmitter range = up to 70 metres
- Data download = no
- Further Documentation: Installation Guide
Elite IR Energy Monitor Support & FAQ
Does it work with three phase power?
Yes. It will report the usage from one smart or digital electricity meter (whether it is a single or three phase meter). However, if you have multiple digital meters, this product can only be attached to one of them.
How accurate are the readings?
The Elite IR energy monitor tracks usage to within about 1% of your actual consumption.
Is the display screen portable?
Yes. This monitor runs off batteries (not included). It is designed to run off one set of batteries for several years.
Can I use it to check individual appliance usage?
Yes, to some extent. You can do this by observing the difference in total power consumption when the appliance is turned on and off. The screen updates every 30 seconds.
Is data available for download?
How many electricity tariffs can be entered?
Up to four (see manual for details).
How far will the transmitter signal travel?
Up to 70 metres line of sight. It is designed to travel through 'normal' blockages such as your meter board cover and external walls. Obstructions will reduce usable range.
Can the Elite IR be used with solar power?
It depends on what you require, and how your particular electricity meter works.
This monitor will report back exactly what the smart/digital meter reports via the flashing LED on the front of the meter. For example, IF this LED stops flashing when solar power production exceeds household consumption during the day, then it will report net household consumption. In this instance, if your solar is producing 1kW and your house is using 2.5kW, the energy monitor will show a net consumption of 1.5kW. For this reason the Elite IR can sometimes be a simple (install yourself) and low cost energy monitoring solution.
In other cases the LED at your meter may flash in line with imported power AND exported power. This can make the monitor's readings harder to interpret.
If you want a solution that is actually designed for households with solar power, see our solar energy monitor.
Can it be self-installed?
Yes. All you need to do is mount the LED sensor on the front of your smart or digital meter inside your meter box. Adhesive stickers are included in the kit for this purpose.
Is my smart meter compatible?
There are 2 important things to check:
- Is a red LED present which blinks faster when you're using higher levels of electricity (is typically labelled 1000imp/kWh or 1Wh/imp)?
- Is the LED located on a flat surface of the meter? The Efergy Elite IR sensor will need to mount against a flat surface (not uneven or recessed) to monitor the smart meter's LED output signal.
How can I test if my utility electricity meter is working as expected?
- With not much else on, turn an electric Kettle on and go out to your meter.
- The red light should be flashing approximately once every 2 seconds (for 1000imp/kWh or 1Wh/imp type meters).
How can I test if my electricity monitor (Elite IR) is working as expected?
- Take the sensor off meter.
- Point it towards a light source.
- Cover and uncover the sensor with your thumb once every 1 second.
- After about 30 seconds the display screen should read (very roughly) 3.6kW. Please Note: this is a bit finicky to test accurately, it is a very rough test just to make sure your monitor is in working order.