Understand Your Solar Self-Consumption & More
Powersensor is an innovative Australian-designed solar monitoring system. It helps you reduce your energy consumption and maximise your solar self-consumption. This solar monitor has the following key features:
Easy DIY Installation. No electrician or tools are required. It's a game-changer in energy usage and solar monitoring.
Realtime Data. Get instant access to your energy usage data (including solar consumption), total solar power production, and grid import/export information.
Energy Insights. Uncover when and how much power you use and produce. You can explore historical data by hour, day, week, or month.
Cost Tracking. The Powersensor app allows for complete end-user entry of your electricity rates. This includes the daily supply charge, time-of-use tariffs, weekday vs weekend tariffs, solar feed-in tariff, and more.
Got 3 Phase Power? Powersensor only works with single-phase households. If you have a three-phase power supply, choose another electricity monitor instead.
The App includes an easy-to-follow setup guide when installing the solar monitor. You'll be up and running in about 10 minutes!
Easy to Install & Use Solar Monitoring System
The Powersensor solar monitoring system has three main parts, as depicted below:
1) The Sensors are wireless devices you install near your mains service fuse and solar inverter. These rechargeable battery-powered sensors require no tools for installation. They use a patented technique to accurately measure electricity flow without directly contacting wires. The sensors use Bluetooth to transmit data to the nearest plug.
2) The Plug that plugs into a regularly used appliance inside your home. It measures and logs power usage through this appliance, acting as a calibration for the sensors. It relays the data from the sensors to the internet via your home Wifi network.
3) The App allows access to your data, whether you're at home or away. The App includes both energy and cost tracking, and you can view your energy data in a wide variety of ways.
The three components of the solar monitor kit: Sensors, Plug, and App. Scroll through the images section at the top of this page for more details.
Why You Need This Solar Monitor
Most households with solar panels are left 'flying blind' due to inadequate data provided by their energy bills or solar inverter.
For example, all your electricity bill shows you is how much power you imported from the grid, and how much you exported. This leaves the critical component of 'solar self-consumption' (the energy you generate and use directly) completely invisible. The only way you can track this, and maximise your solar savings, is if you have a solar monitoring system.
But that's not the only reason you need this solar energy monitor. Here are some other benefits:
- Maximise Solar Power Production. Find out when your solar panels aren't producing power as expected and take action before it results in costly downtime.
- Optimise When Appliances Operate. As solar feed-in tariffs drop, it's becoming more important to utilise your solar power generation during the day.
- Minimise Night-Time Energy Usage. Apart from changing when you use energy, you can also eliminate all non-essential night-time power usage.
Screenshot from the Powersensor Solar Monitoring App. See the images section at the top of this page for some more examples.
Specifications - Solar Monitoring System & App
|Included Parts||2 x Sensors, 1 x Plug|
|Plug||Standard three-pin AU/NZ power plug: 240 V AC 50Hz 10A. Uses less than 1W of power to operate.|
|Sensor||Weatherproof sensor with pre-installed user-rechargeable battery. The battery lasts approx 1 to 2 years (USB recharge cable included, 100cm length).|
|Wireless Range||Sensors to Plug: within about 10m or two rooms, extendable with an extra plug. Plug to internet router: up to 50m, extendable with Wifi repeater.|
|Wireless Protocol||Plug: WiFi 2.4 GHz. Sensor: Bluetooth.|
|3 Phase Compatible||No|
|Home Battery Compatible||No|
|Tariffs||Full tariff control, including time-of-use tariffs, single fixed tariffs, daily usage charge, and seasonal adjustment of rates.|
|Accuracy||Within 5%, typically much better|
|Dimensions||Plug: 9.9cm (Height) x 4.3cm (Width) x 3.8cm (Depth, excluding pins). Sensor: 9cm x 4.2cm x 3.2cm|
|Weight||Plug: 84 grams. Sensor: 96 grams.|
|Installation||Easy app-guided self-installation|
|Product Identifiers||DiUS Powersensor Solar Monitor Kit|
|Further Details||Quickstart Guide: Plug (PDF) & Sensor (PDF)|
Solar Monitor Support & FAQ
Does it work with 3 phase power?
No. Powersensor currently only works with single-phase households, which are the most common type. If you have a three-phase power supply and solar, we recommend another electricity monitor.
Not sure what type of power you have? See our blog post on how to tell if you have 3 phase power.
Is this a remotely accessible energy monitor?
Yes. The Plug connects to the internet. You can check your energy usage from home, at the office, or anywhere in the world.
Is it compatible with home battery systems?
Not at present - but it's on Powersensor's feature roadmap for inclusion soon.
Is it compatible with multiple solar power inverters?
No. If you have two solar PV power inverters, we recommend the basic Powersensor kit. Rather than tracking multiple inverters individually (which is not possible), it simply tracks the NET import and export of power from your main switchboard.
How often does the solar monitoring data update?
The readings you see in the App update every 30 seconds. As such, you can readily observe changes in power usage from individual appliances.
The Plug also acts as an individual appliance power meter. This provides a handy log of usage for a frequently used appliance such as a kettle, toaster, fridge, or washing machine.
Can I add more Plugs to track more appliances in detail?
Yes - you can add up to eight extra Powersensor Plugs to monitor more appliances from within the app.
What's included in the solar energy monitoring kit?
You will receive everything you need, including:
- 1 x Plug. This sits inside your home, ideally within one to two rooms of your electricity meter box. Add an extra plug if you need to extend this range.
- 2 x Sensors. These sit inside your meter box and near your inverter (one for usage, one for solar).
- 2 x USB cables to recharge the sensors every one to two years.
- High quality 3M Dual Lock reclosable velcro pads to secure the Sensors in place.
- Instructions and QR code to download the App.
Where can I download the solar monitor App? Is it free?
Yes - the App is free for all the features described here. In other words, your purchase of the device covers the cost of the App. Here are the download links for any Apple or Android smartphone:
Unlike other solar monitoring systems, Powersensor does not charge ongoing fees. However, they may release even more features in the future as an optional extra (premium subscription).
Can I export or download my consumption & solar energy data?
Yes. The App includes a data export function (to a .csv spreadsheet file). Data is stored half-hourly and includes kWh, peak kW and cost values for energy from-Grid, to-Grid, Solar, and Net.
What other options do you sell?
We sell a range of energy monitoring devices, including:
- Power Meters - for individual plug-in appliances.
- Sub Meters - for hard-wired circuits or areas.
- Energy Monitors - for your whole premises.
Please read our blog on monitoring your electricity usage for a complete overview.
Very happy with the system
I have an old solar solar system and the readout gave very little information and then stopped working. This device shows me a lot of good information and great for people wil older systems who would like to see mor information.
Would like a tutorial on the app on u tube especially how to enter tarifs i have added not shure if i have done it correctly i have solar panels so i have the advance powersensors with nine plugs
The Powersensor was exactly as easy to set up as was stated. It has been functioning for 17 days and I’m still checking, via a spreadsheet, how it compares with our Ergon bill and our Inverter’s readings. I can thoroughly recommend the Powersensor.
They are not cheap but this set works beautifully. Thanks to it and its very informative mobile app, within a week I could spot a few anomalies in our power consumption and realign it with our solar production to make it more cost effective. This should recoup the cost of this set within a year.
Great moniting system, easy to install and use. Allows quick access to home power use.
Powersensor Solar Monitor & App
First attempt to install failed but a quick response from customer service had the system up and running and now can see solar generation and power usage. Highly recommend
Works very well great solution
I can finally monitor my home power usage and solar generation in real time!