Energy Efficiency Thermometer with Magnet
This handy thermometer will help you operate your fridge, freezer, heating, cooling and hot water systems at optimal temperatures.
- Clearly marked scale and magnet
- Range = -20˚C to 100°C
- Dimensions = 183mm (length) x 31mm (width) x 8mm (depth)
- Weight = 28 grams (with magnet)
- Materials = non-mercury glass thermometer tube in a plastic housing
Adjust Temperature Settings & Save Energy
Did you know? Heating, cooling and hot water alone account for over 50% of energy consumption in Australian homes.
Typical energy usage in an Australian Home (source: sa.gov.au)
The temperature settings of appliances which heat or cool are a key driver of their underlying power consumption. It is for this reason that you should make sure that appliances are operating within an optimal temperature range. This is precisely what this simple thermometer allows you to do.
You can quickly check the temperature of key appliances with this thermometer, including:
Freezers - between -12˚C and -18˚C
- You will find that freezers are often still stuck on their over-spec factory setting of -20˚C or less.
- Increasing their set-point temperature will substantially decrease electricity consumption.
- As the CSIRO explains "Small quantities of bought food can, however, be held frozen for a few weeks at temperatures of between -15 °C and -12 °C without serious loss of quality."
Refrigerators - between 3˚C and 5˚C
- Refrigerators are often set too warm (above 5˚C).
- Whilst decreasing their temperature will not reduce your energy use, it will allow you to store foods safely and for a longer period of time, which reduces food waste!
- Leave the thermometer inside the fridge for at least 10 minutes before checking.
- Related product: measure your electricity usage with a plug-in power meter.
Air conditioning for cooling - between 24˚C and 26˚C room temperature
- Households and offices often unnecessarily over-cool in summer.
- The good news is that for every 1˚C temperature increase you will save between 5 and 10% of your air conditioning power consumption.
- Related product: check the power usage of hard-wired appliances like air conditioning with a wireless energy monitor.
Electric, gas or wood heating - between 18˚C and 20˚C room temperature
- Contrary to popular wisdom, setting your heater or air conditioner at a higher temperature will generally not heat your room up faster, it just wastes energy.
- Furthermore, your heater thermostat is often not located in a position where it records actual room temperatures.
- Place the thermometer in your living room to check the actual temperature.
- Related product: the HeaterMate heater thermostat.
Hot water - running hot water no higher than around 50˚C
- Apart from the fact you could burn yourself, a high hot water temperature just bumps up your power usage (regardless of whether is is power by electricity, gas or solar).
- Note that a hot water temperature at your tap of around 50˚C still means a likely tank temperature of around 60˚C which is recommended for safe storage.
- Place the thermometer's bulb under running hot water to test.
Custom Branded Thermometer for Energy & Sustainability Promotions
We can custom brand this thermometer for your organisation provided you order at least 500 units. Please fill out a custom order request if interested.
Here are some of the organisations which have had this thermometer custom branded for their own programs or promotions:
- Government including NSW State Government, Frankston City Council
- Private businesses including Sustainahome
- Energy utilities including Origin Energy
- Community organisations and campaigns including Uniting Communities, Energy+ Illawarra, BEST Employment, and others
We can also arrange for a custom cardboard thermometer holder to be printed with additional advice and branding, such as that used by the NSW State Government in their 'Black Balloons' save power campaign (pictured below).
Please fill out a custom order request if you have a question or special custom-branding request.
Thermometer works accurately good item
Excellent and very accurate.
This is a great little thermometer,at a glance it tells you where the fridge/freezer and the heating/cooling temperature should be ranging.
Happy with my purchase.
This thermometer is a simple way to check various household temperatures but having been in the mechanical services industry the heating and cooling Are designed for 21 degrees.
Simple, does exactly what you expect
Very good design with magnet.
Only suggestion is that the temperature for the summer cooling range be increased from the current 24-27 to 26-29.
Nice to buy something that does exactly what it should, precisely and well