The Most Comprehensive Guide to Sustainable Building in Australia
The Your Home Guide is Australia's most respected guide to building and renovating eco homes. It contains over 600 pages of reference material that is detailed yet easy to understand.
The book includes 71 chapters across eight key sections:
- Getting Started - introduction and understanding Australia's climate zones.
- Build, Buy, Renovate - rating tools, renovating an existing home, buying off the plan, apartments, building design process, etc.
- Passive Design - covering key concepts such as passive heating and cooling, orientation, thermal mass, glazing, shading, ventilation, and more.
- Materials - considerations of embodied energy, waste minimisation, and numerous construction methods (everything from aerated concrete to straw bale construction).
- Energy - including hot water, lighting, appliances, and the renewable energy systems and batteries to power them.
- Water - water efficiency, rainwater harvesting, wastewater reuse, stormwater management, and even waterless toilets.
- Live & Adapt - including bushfire protection, adapting to climate change, indoor air quality, noise control, landscaping, and more.
- Case Studies - four detailed case studies put all the theory into practice.
YourHome Green Building Guide - 6th Edition
First published 20 years ago, this latest sixth edition has been thoroughly reviewed and updated. Recent additions and updates include:
- Technological advancements in batteries, solar PV, insulation, cladding systems, lighting and appliances.
- Building in bushfire-prone areas,
- How to achieve ‘Passive House’ standards,
- Building using hemp masonry,
- The latest information on renewable materials and energy systems.
- Updated guidance on condensation and airtightness,
- Energy efficiency in apartments and strata building common area upgrades,
- How to build eco homes that are resilient to a changing climate,
- New case studies, images, and diagrams on building and retrofitting,
- And much more!
The Your Home green building book has undergone a complete edit and refresh to make information easier to find and read.
Your Home Guide - Key Details
|Year of Publication||2021|
|Author||54 authors, including building experts, industry professionals and scientific editors|
|Publisher||Australian Government - Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources|
Who is Your Home for?
Your Home is for everybody. If you want to know more about buying, building, renovating or living in an eco-home, Your Home will help.
Your Home helps householders understand how to design and live in a sustainable home. It explains the process of green building and renovating and the things to ask your designer and builder to ensure you make informed choices and get the home you want.
Your Home helps architects and designers understand the principles of green building design and how they can be practically applied in different climates. It can support the design process or develop knowledge and expertise on industry best practices.
Your Home helps builders understand the range of materials and technologies available to support green home construction and to understand specific issues like condensation or waste management.
Your Home helps students, researchers and policy-makers to understand sustainable home design, energy efficiency rating schemes, and other aspects affecting residential sustainability.