Course Topic 6 - Waste
Video 1 - Waste to Resource
Video 2 - Managing Household Waste
Video 3 - Toxic Household Waste
Video 4 - Household Waste Plastics
Video 5 - E-Waste
Activities to complete (Required):
- Complete the waste quiz
- Complete a 'waste audit' for your household (overview below)
Choose a typical week or fortnight in your household to identify and measure your solid waste (ie. all the materials you and your family discard for council collection or deliver to your local waste management facility.)
For consistency estimate the measure of your waste in either litres or kilograms. You can check the size of wheelie bins used by searching your local council’s website.
Collect and measure the following information (rough numbers are okay!):
- How much is composted or put through a worm farm?
- How much organic material is in your ‘green’ bin or taken to the tip for composting?
- How much is recycled? Identify each type of recyclable material and estimate the percentage of bulk each material takes up. eg. plastic, paper, glass.
- How much is in your landfill bin? Identify each type of material and estimate the percentage of bulk each material takes up.
Further links and resources (Optional):
Here are some videos and resources related to the above content:
- Re-thinking Progress - The Circular Economy (4 min)
- Reverse Garbage, Sydney (3 min)
- William McDonough - Cradle to cradle design (20 min)
- The Story of Stuff Project
- National Waste Reporting, Australian government
- NSW Household Chemical CleanOut
- National Television and Computer Recycling Scheme, Australian government
- ‘Waste Not’ – video trailer (full length 25 mins)
- Bag it the Movie (full length 78 mins)