Course Topic 2 - Energy
Video 1 - Energy Basics
Video 2 - Energy Measurements
Video 3 - Measuring & Monitoring
Video 4 - Lighting
Video 5 - Heating & Cooling
Video 6 - Kitchen & Laundry
Video 7 - Entertainment & Office
Video 8 - The Garden
Followup Activities (Required)
Item 1 is auto-marking and your response will be recorded.
- Complete the energy quiz
- Review the nameplate power rating on a few of your appliances. Or use a plug-in power meter to conduct more detailed measurements.
- Review the lighting intensity in a few rooms in your home:
- Measure the floor area of the room in square metres.
- Calculate the total wattage of lighting in the room, ie. add wattage of every globe installed the room, including portable lamps.
- How many watts are you using per square metre? How does this compare to other rooms? Could this be reduced by more appropriate general lighting or more targeted task lighting?
- Alternatively, use a lux meter to measure actual light levels and compare them against the Australian Standard (table available on our lux meter product page).
Further links and resources (Optional):
Here are some resources related to the topic of energy efficiency:
- Your Home Technical Manual – great resource for Australian homes/climate. All content available for free download.
- Natural Capitalism - book written well over 10 years ago by energy efficiency pioneer Amory Lovins and Paul Hawken but still highly relevant today. Most of the ideas discussed are centred on energy efficiency. Book is available for free download at the above link.
- Various meters and monitors available on our website.
- Your Energy Savings (government website)
- Global Warming Cool It (PDF, government resource)
- Earth's Energy Budget (NASA)
- Fridge Buyback scheme, NSW
- Phoenix Fridges buyback scheme, VIC
- Australian government Energy Star Rating website